Father Smith began his ordained priestly ministry in 1992 serving Trinity Church in Henrietta, Texas, and St. Patrick’s in Bowie, Texas. After two years at these missions, Fr. Smith received a call to serve as the assistant to Fr. Andrew L. Sloane at Grace Church in Sheboygan, Wisconsin. It was from that parish that Fr. Smith was called to his first rector (“senior pastor”) position at All Saints’ Episcopal Church in Memphis, Tennessee. In July of 2006, Fr. Smith came to Good Shepherd, called to be the sixth rector of the parish.
- In his vision for the parish family community at Good Shepherd, Fr. Smith encourages each area of the Christian community life as outlined in the New Testament church of Acts 2:
- Worship and formation in the biblical, creedal faith.
- The Koinoia: the fellowship of members of the body through a shared life of faith (especially in small group ministries).
- Evangelization: bearing witness and sharing the life in Christ with those who may not yet know the Lord Jesus.
- Compassionate outreach, with the Church seeking to reach out with the love of Christ to the poor, the hurting, and the lonely.